- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup frozen two- or three-week-old cricket nymphs, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring the broth to a boil, then stir in the orzo.
- Continue boiling the orzo until it is tender, about 10 minutes; drain any extra liquid, then quickly add the carrot and red and green peppers. Mix evenly and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic, onion, and crickets. Sauté briefly until the onions are translucent and the garlic and crickets have browned.
- Combine the cricket mixture, including any liquid, with the orzo and vegetables, top with the parsley, and serve.
Recipe Credit: David George Gordon / @TheBugChef
Reprinted with permission from The Eat-A-Bug Cookbook, Revised by David George Gordon (Ten Speed Press, 2013). Photo Credit: Chugrad McAndrews.